Next time you're outside, pluck a blade of grass for an easy way to entertain yourself – and annoy your friends.
Step 1: Pick a blade of grass
Pick a flat blade of grass that's as long as your thumbs.
You'll get more sound from wide, slightly coarse grass than from thin, fine grass.
Step 2: Put the grass between your thumbs
Press your thumbs together at the knuckles with your fingernails facing you. Put the grass lengthwise between your thumbs.
Step 3: Pull the grass taut
Pull the grass taut, so there are no kinks. You should see the edge of the blade centered in a gap between the base of your thumbs and your knuckles.
Step 4: Blow
Purse your lips, put your mouth to your thumbs, and blow. You may have to move your lips or thumbs slightly to make a sound, so keep trying.
By cupping your hands, you can make the pitch of your whistle higher or lower.
Step 5: Experiment with sounds
Play around with different kinds of grasses and reeds. You can make as many different sounds as there are blades of grass on your lawn.
Fact: A grass whistle isn't technically a whistle; it's a reed instrument.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades